Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear Caliper Frozen up

Go down 
+2
robotennis61
MrWood88
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MrWood88
Amateur
MrWood88

Name : James Wood
Merit : 1

Rear Caliper Frozen up Empty
PostSubject: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Hello Ive got a 98 and the rear caliper is locked up i ordered a new one and seems pretty straight forward with the e brake cable and one bolt holding the brake line was wondering if you have any tips at this point about bleeding the brakes any help will do thnx!!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 6:49 pm

take needle nose vise grips and lock them over the brake hose.not too tight,just enough to stop fluid flow. remove the old caliper.replace with new caliper and remove the vise grip once everything is tight and in place. reinstal new pads and reconnect to rear control arm bracket. bleed .done.
Back to top Go down
MrWood88
Amateur
MrWood88

PostSubject: Re: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:00 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
take needle nose vise grips and lock them over the brake hose.not too tight,just enough to stop fluid flow. remove the old caliper.replace with new caliper and remove the vise grip once everything is tight and in place. reinstal new pads and reconnect to rear control arm bracket. bleed .done.
Awesome didnt think about that thank you. and when i bleed it does the car have to been on or no just wondering because of the ABS and this is my first car with 4 wheel disc brakes. thanks
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:33 pm

MrWood88 wrote:
robotennis61 wrote:
Awesome didnt think about that thank you. and when i bleed it does the car have to been on or no just wondering because of the ABS and this is my first car with 4 wheel disc brakes. thanks

You don't have to start the car. You can bleed the brake lines with it off.

Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 12:37 am

robotennis61 wrote:

doesn't that (pliers) damage the brake hose?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:21 am

nah.ya gotta just barely squeeze the hose with the vise grips.it doesnt take much.a little squeeze will do ya.just enough to stop the flow.i wouldnt recomend squeezing SS lines.but ive done it.i know how.the id of the rubber brake line is small.dont take much.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 am

robotennis61 wrote:
nah.ya gotta just barely squeeze the hose with the vise grips.it doesnt take much.a little squeeze will do ya.just enough to stop the flow.i wouldnt recomend squeezing SS lines.but ive done it.i know how.the id of the rubber brake line is small.dont take much.

OK I think I get it.

Not something I would do because of the construction of brake hose and the tendency of older hoses to collapse internally under certain conditions -- but I can imagine how that could work. What I have done in the past is to get the new caliper set to install by hanging it in the area with a bent coat hanger, then take the hose off the old caliper and immediately put it on the new with a new crush washer or to have the new ready and do the swap on the mounts while letting the hose drain into a jar. Then again, I have a power bleeder, the bleed does not take long at all.

Thinking about your approach Robo - because of the teeth on the vise grips it might be a good idea to wrap the hose in a rag or rubber scrap at the pinch point first, then pinch.

Also now that we are on the subject I dimly recall seeing a pinch device that was something like a couple smooth metal dowels that could be locked in a pinch on a rubber brake hose. I bet NAPA and the gearhead parts sites (summit racing?!?!) have them but I don't know.

So... back to the OP's original question... if you search on this site you will find good discussion of bleeding brakes including instructions on how to build your own power bleeder from a hand-pumped pneumatic garden sprayer. If you use a power bleeder, you can flush the old brake fluid - which you need to do anyway to prevent wet fluid form jamming up your ABS. Finally, you'll get a somewhat firmer pedal if you also switch from DOT3 to synthetic DOT3, 3/4 or 4 fluid when you flush the old.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 pm

I usually take a vacuum cap and stick it in the banjo hole, or over the end of the exposed brake line to stop the fluid pouring out. Cheap and easy, and no risk to the hose!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Gravity bleeding is so slow, you can swap in the hose to the new caliper without loosing much fluid at all. It's a good idea to bleed the lines and replace with new fluid anyway if it hasn't been done before.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
MrWood88
Amateur
MrWood88

PostSubject: Re: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 7:18 pm

I was thinking of buying a "one person" brake bleeder is the hand pump kind the brake bleeder ok. the one thats on here seems like a whole project in itslef and alot of running around for pieces and im trying to get it bled and back on the road asap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Caliper Frozen up   Rear Caliper Frozen up Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear Caliper Frozen up
Page 1 of 1