Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Brantea
Rookie

Name : Michael Brandt
Merit : 0

Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! Empty
PostSubject: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 2:40 pm

I just recently went to change out my cd player. It already had an aftermarket one, but I wanted to replace it since it was old and I needed to hook up wires for my subs. I took it out and went to install my new Sony and there was nothing. No power to the cd player at all. I took it out and tried the old one and same problem. I replaced the blown fuse and now the bottom old cd player lights up, but my new one still has no power. Did I hook something up wrong or is it a fuse or what? Please help!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:27 pm

what year Riv?
Back to top Go down
Brantea
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:48 pm

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:01 pm

If your wiring harness is not cut yet you might want to call Crutchfield and have them sell you a SCOSCHE harness to jump between the fac wiring and your stereo.
Back to top Go down
Brantea
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:16 pm

it looks like it has a harness because it had an older aftermarket cd player hooked up. i just wanted to change them out to something newer
Back to top Go down
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

Name : Glenn W. Peck
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Make sure your new radio has the wiring correctly wired to the new wiring harness. if you don't have the correct harness or its not wired correctly it wont work. also check when the new radio is hooked up to you may need to push the reset button on the unit. smile
Back to top Go down
http://gmann3001@yahoo.com
Brantea
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 8:02 pm

i am very sure that it is hooked up right but i will take it back out and check and update you on what is going on
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 8:37 am

gmann3001 wrote:
Make sure your new radio has the wiring correctly wired to the new wiring harness. if you don't have the correct harness or its not wired correctly it wont work. also check when the new radio is hooked up to you may need to push the reset button on the unit. smile

My guess is the harness jumper needs pinouts changed to make the new stereo work. I have not seen this installation before - but I bet he's got a jumper from GM to DIN, and the issue might be the DIN plugs are specified as to shape and pinout but which pin does what is a recommendation IIRC. It also might be the new radio has an issue - rare but it happens. There is a lot of crap going on in retail nowadays. For instance, recently a Staples clerk was busted for stealing. What she was doing - Staples has a kinda liberal return policy. For instance you can return a printer ink cartridge after you use it a little if you're not happy with it. She would find the ink cartridges that had been purchased for cash and "return" them, removing the money from the till. Staples does not put slightly used ink carts back into stock... Caught in an audit.

Would not surprise me if that "new" CD player had an issue and was returned to stock or some such - but again I have NO idea and I don't mean to insult anybody. I just mean to point out that all kinds of stuff goes on and beating on a broken CD player won't fix it.

In summary - issues might be you need a differently configured jumper with the same plugs, or you player is "bad new" or there is a wiring problem in the dash - check the connectors and look at the wires especially on that jumper to find breaks or cuts that might have resulted from flexing wires near the connectors. Happens.
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

Name : drew

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 9:27 am

I would try the Sony radio directly to the battery, just to be sure it powers up. Tie the red and yellow wires together and put them on the positive post, and the black wire on the negative post. This will power your radio.
Back to top Go down
Brantea
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 5:10 pm

I found the problem. There was a blown electrical fuse that made it not work...it was a fuse under the backseats...its working now. Now to finish my system
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!   Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Replacing Aftermarket Stereo Problem...HELP!!!
Page 1 of 1