Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Steering wheel controls

Go down 
+14
BMD
black shadow
missysriviera
Eldo
RhinoFLA
deekster_caddy
robotennis61
albertj
sanger
turtleman
captshiner
T Riley
Rickw
Natesriv
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Steering wheel controls - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks for the info.
And you knew more about the problem than you first posted.!!!!!!
Or, more than I knew.
Kudo's to you and I apologize for being rude earlier.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 5:00 pm

sanger wrote:
Took the panel off this morning but did'nt see any fuses....Wondering if Albertj could be correct with it being the clockspring. Thanks for the input.

Well, he could be right about that. I admit that I thought the clockspring (or Module Coil) was only used for the air bag because of it's importance and split second timing, while everything else still used brushes & rings...

However, I think you should get under the dash again with better light, because he's definitely right about the location of the fuse I wrote about. I just looked under my dash, and it's right there to the left of the column... It isn't, though, very easy to spot because it doesn't look like a typical fuse holder. The 2 amp fuse is a dark, murky color and the fuse holder itself is actually wrapped in dark gray foam, which in turn is wrapped in a white paper band that says "2 Amp" (if you have your specs on wink) It makes for a package that looks more like a relay or a buzzer...

If and when you have to go deeper into the column, don't forget air bag safety: pull the airbag fuse in the IP fuse box, give it a half hour, and then disconnect the yellow 2-wire connector that is near that fuse at the bottom of the column.

Mark

(And thanks to whoever hit the '+' for me... heart )
Back to top Go down
sanger
Special

Name : sanger
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 5:29 pm

Thank's for the description of the fuse I'll pull the panel again, would much rather it be a fuse!!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 5:20 pm

To quote Ted Knight in Caddyshack:

"Wellllll? We're WAITING!!!"

Whahappn?
Back to top Go down
sanger
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 9:27 pm

Took the panel off and looked again.....still could'nt locate the fuse. Is it possible a "95" does'nt have it ?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 9:33 pm

i keep telling everyone that its that damn dabby doober! will no one listen?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 12:24 am

sanger wrote:
Took the panel off and looked again.....still could'nt locate the fuse. Is it possible a "95" does'nt have it ?

Quite possible... Alas, I can't research the specifics for a '95. You'll need to start watching eBay for a Factory Service/Shop Manual. As everyone on here will agree, it's an excellent investment.

Good luck,
Mark
Back to top Go down
sanger
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 3:58 pm

I do have a Factory Service/Shop Manual for the "95" and could'nt find anything about the 2 amp fuse. Still I was hoping I missed it....Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
sanger
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks again for everybody's help.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 6:49 pm

sanger wrote:
I do have a Factory Service/Shop Manual for the "95" and could'nt find anything about the 2 amp fuse. Still I was hoping I missed it....Thanks again.

Oh, sorry about that. And now, a little late on the uptake, something else just dawned on me:
IIRC, the radio decodes the signal from the steering wheel switches, and then sends any Temp inputs on to the Climate Control... The '95s have a different CC and a different radio, so it stands to reason that the whole bloody system is different!
bonk
Back to top Go down
missysriviera
Special

Name : Casey
Merit : 0

PostSubject: No radio power/steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 pm

I just bought a 98 Riviera with the airbags blown. I noticed that the stock head unit does not power on and the temp controls on the steering wheel do not work. The prev. owner said the radio and wheel controls worked before the accident. Did the airbag do something to the wheel controls that would make the radio not work anymore?
Back to top Go down
black shadow
Enthusiast
black shadow

Name : walter
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 7:16 pm

it is possible the wires inside of the steering wheel are very small and that violent of a shock could have pulled a couple of the wires off, it isn't that hard to check you just have to take the airbag out of the steering wheel and check the wires, there are four all together two for the temp and two for the radio.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 7:58 pm

black shadow wrote:
it is possible the wires inside of the steering wheel are very small and that violent of a shock could have pulled a couple of the wires off, it isn't that hard to check you just have to take the airbag out of the steering wheel and check the wires, there are four all together two for the temp and two for the radio.

Do you think that In addition it's possible the airbag detonation affected the clockspring?
Back to top Go down
black shadow
Enthusiast
black shadow

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 7:43 am

I am sure it is possible but not very likely, my air bag went of in my car and it didn't do anything to the steering wheel accessories but I did have to find the arming control box for the airbags which wasn't easy and had to replace that but that shouldn't have anything to do with the radio, I would start with taking the airbag off and check the wires there and then go on to the clock spring. I had to replace both of the airbags and all of the sensors plus the arming switch
Back to top Go down
black shadow
Enthusiast
black shadow

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 7:48 am

and also the clock-spring and the steering wheel controls have nothing to do with the head unit not powering on so you might want to check the fuses for the radio or maybe the radio got banged when the car got banged, those radios aren't the best
Back to top Go down
missysriviera
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 am

I'll take a closer look and see if anything might have came loose. Of course there is always the possibility that the previous owner was lying about it working before...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 2:27 pm

missysriviera wrote:
I just bought a 98 Riviera with the airbags blown. I noticed that the stock head unit does not power on and the temp controls on the steering wheel do not work. The prev. owner said the radio and wheel controls worked before the accident. Did the airbag do something to the wheel controls that would make the radio not work anymore?

also, do you think it's a good idea to tell us why the airbags are blown?
Back to top Go down
black shadow
Enthusiast
black shadow

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 3:50 pm

[quote="albertj"]
missysriviera wrote:

also, do you think it's a good idea to tell us why the airbags are blown?[/qu

that would be a good idea to
Back to top Go down
missysriviera
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 1:49 pm

It was involved in a low speed front end collision.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Looks like takin' apart the dash to see what else has been affected by the collision might be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 5:45 pm

black shadow wrote:
and also the clock-spring and the steering wheel controls have nothing to do with the head unit not powering on so you might want to check the fuses for the radio or maybe the radio got banged when the car got banged, those radios aren't the best

Walter is correct (+)... I think the very first question should be: Does the clock work?
Back to top Go down
black shadow
Enthusiast
black shadow

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 6:42 pm

how far along are you in putting the wrecked car back together? I went threw the same thing with my car, I bought it wrecked, the guy hit a dear with it and popped the air bags and he couldn't sell it bc everyone was scared of the airbags so I got it cheep and then bought a car with a blown motor for parts and put the wrecked car back together so if there is any ? about fixing a problem don't hesitate to ask.
Back to top Go down
2QWK2C
Special

Name : Peter Sierra

PostSubject: fixed radio and steering controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 11:22 am

missysriviera wrote:

Just remove radio and unplug it. Then plug it back in should fix this problem.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 9:21 am

My Riviera doesn't have SWC option, so I wonder what my car actually needs partwise for the SWC to operate. I've seen a 4-wire connector under the dash which looks exactly like the one used for connecting the steering wheel buttons, and I have buttons themselves, so what else do I need? A clock spring?

I found an Aurora clock spring for, like, 25 bucks, which brings the question: are Aurora and Riviera clock springs interchangeable?

Update: also I don't have stock radio. Can it be that the 4-wire connector that I've seen under the dash is the harness going from the SWC to the (missing) radio, and I need another harness that I probably don't have: from the radio to the ... whatever it is the radio harness supposed to be connected to?
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 pm

Ouch. Found topic about the PAC adapter frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel controls   Steering wheel controls - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering wheel controls
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next