Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Its All Electrical .....

Go down 
+2
palermocorey90
DuckzRivi96
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

Name : CJ
Merit : 0

Its All Electrical ..... Empty
PostSubject: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Ok guys i live in ohio about 40 minutes away from detroit its been pretty cold here as of late ...about a week ago my battery discharged i had it jumped drove around for a while ...got back home turn the car off and the climate control as well as acouple other things were still running ...im confused so i check fuses and such the cig ltr fuse is blown ...so i try to change it and everytime a put a new one in it blows aparently that didnt have anything to do with the reason my car still stays on when theres no key in the ignition so could you guys give me some advice
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 7:36 pm

my old 95 had the same problem
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 7:52 pm

how did you fix it?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Not sure he was able to... maybe you have his car now...

seriously - check the wiring for repairs or changes, for instance a security system of aftermarket audio. Also, get a factory manual set so you have the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting chargs needed to get thigns right. People are helpful on this site but your problem sounds like the consequence of a modification not a consequence of wear and tear.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 8:02 pm

well when i bought the car it had a aftermarket car starter and it hasnt been working since i got it do you think that would have somethin to do with it?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 8:31 pm

No doubt.

If I were you I'd restore the original wiring. Most likely you will need a factory manual. Check EBay.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 8:36 pm

i think thats what i will do thanks for the advice
Back to top Go down
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 8:48 pm

I had a problem with my 95 a/c fan motor running after the car was shut off.
The fan module in the passenger wheel well needed to be replaced. The part number was 12368388.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 9:15 pm

lionfish wrote:
I had a problem with my 95 a/c fan motor running after the car was shut off.
The fan module in the passenger wheel well needed to be replaced. The part number was 12368388.
And in some cases you can replace the diode, or whatever it is called, on the printed circuit and it will fix the problem also?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 9:46 pm

thanks alot guys ill check all of em out.... and let you kno the outcome
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 11:34 pm

They may have used cigar lighter circuit for the remote starter. If not pull out lighter and inspect inside for corrision etc. short. You can remove the front panel carefully and disconnect the lighter if suspect. If still blowing that fuse they must have spliced into it for power and it is shorting it out.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 am

Hmmm... actually, shorting there would be easy especially if the splice is right at the base of the lighter and the person doing the splicing was hurried or inexperienced. Lighter receptacle is one big grounded cylinder.

Reason for my recommendation was that the way the Riv is wired and the way the circuits are used for simple signaling as well as power transmission does not really favor such modifications. Restoring the wiring to original gets you out of the problems and into an operable car, while exposing you to enough of the wiring to let you learn enough to make better modification decisions should you choose to do so in the future.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 4:09 pm

well the cig lighter wires were melted way into the main harness that seems to be the culprit of the blown fuses as for the other problem i have yet to get it figured out
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 4:25 pm

What exactly is staying on after key is out. You can get a new harness and lighter from an Aurora or Riv at the junk yard. Was the lighter bad or do you think something else caused the melting?
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 5:16 pm

the climate control the heated seats the elc and thats about it
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 11:19 pm

well we figured out the problem it was the heated seats that caused all the problems...it had a short in it
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 12:09 pm

What wiring was shorted and how did you determine it CJ?
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 6:53 pm

well let me correct that ...i didnt figure it out the guy at the shop figured it out he told me that there was soda and water puddled under the seat ...and it shorted out the heater in the seat which is somehow connected to the hvac unit ...in turn caused it to act like it was on crack
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 9:28 pm

...who spilled the soda?

Point is if you spilled it shoulda figured it might be a problem.

Also point is if you didn't (it was a PO or whatever) you are probly NOT done finding problems.

Please comment.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 12:16 pm

my son had spilled the soda ...and yes you are correct we are not done finding problems ..i recently took the car to a shop and the guy was suppose to fix it come to find out he charged me 400 and some change jus to take out the fuse for the heated seats and not fix the problem now im having more problems as ive described in a different post
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Got it.

Then the first thing to do is take out the seats/interior bits where the soda was spilled and then clean it all up. For instance the seats are easier to pull than you might think. They are held in with two (yeah - 2) bolts and a couple hooks stamped into the floor of the car. This is not all that obvious, but is pretty clear if you have the FSM. I suspect thatif you knew how easy it was you'd have pulled the seats and cleaned up by now.

SO - You really need a facory service manual, if only to have the wiring diagrams and service procedures. THe benefit will be that you can tell real quick if something is simpler or tougher than it looks. And you can "leave them in the trunk" for the independent mechanics to use when working on the car (be sure your name is in them).

That said, I think you will find the folks on this site will be more than patient with you as you work through asking questions as you are fixing the problems. Won't be easy but will be do-able. People on the site will help to the extent they can. The general problem I think you are going to have is that if you try to have your problems "fixed' by dealer or independent mechanics you will find you're paying for a lot of troubleshooting time and not much work. Depending on where you live, mechanics won't see many Rivieras and the chance that they will do dumb stuff like break the pull handles off the door panels (they are riveted on so you can use them to help position and install the door panels, then the door panel screws run thru them - but in my experience even dealer mechanics don't know that) is fairly high.

By the same token, it's not clear to me how you'd expect others to figure out from your original post that the problem was that some soda was spilled in the car and shorted a bunch fo stuff out. Did you tell him that up front? If not, I wonder if the $400.- bill may have sprung from that lack of disclosure.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Its All Electrical .....   Its All Electrical ..... Empty

Back to top Go down

Its All Electrical .....
Page 1 of 1