Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs

Go down 
+55
matt270avian
th3fr4nchi5e
Sir Psycho Sexy
bigdave
Richouser
Johnny5
joshuadalegrimes
bmcd9179
stan
al_roethlisberger
69GSColorado
charlieRobinson
RidzRiv
highwaywarrior
Abaddon
reboot13
flyineagle96
Eldo
97 park ave
Tank
BKRIV
VJD2
abaucom
Hometown Hero
Sweepspear
SToP
97rivsc
parrot5254
joe's riv
EatDirtFartDust
Rickw
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
mak3
albertj
No-Lift
Buapo
robotennis61
mountainrider
97rivman
ewolfe0050
Jack the R
turtleman
1998 Riv
HirohataMerc
Riv in Reno
Jason
AA
T Riley
racinfan
jax95riv
pwmin
oldsman105
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 12:20 am

robotennis61 wrote:
I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Believe it when I see it!
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 1:58 am

In my seemingly never ending quest to get low, I contacted these guys about this kit.

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37824

Red springs=eibach? Do Seville shocks and struts also interchange, or just springs? If not, maybe I can just get the springs if they actually have them. Or maybe they can Frankenstein a kit together for me that would work. 700 for new everything doesn't really seem too bad if it's quality parts.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 4:05 am

I got my Eibachs for $170 shipped from the best Ebay buy I have ever found.

I highly recommend you create auto alerts for your Ebay account that emails you when keyword auctions are posted. That's how I found mine.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 4:13 am

Good idea! Definitely doing that.
Back to top Go down
Richouser
Amateur

Name : Richard
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 6:07 am

OK guys, here is the upshot of trying to get lowering springs from Coil Springs Specialties.  Over the past few months I have: purchased and sent them a rear spring because they had no specs for rears, during the process, I took the front springs out of my car and sent them a front spring for confirmation of specs., and many, many emails and phone calls attempting to get it right.

I ordered a set of fronts and rears with a 1 1/4" drop and a conservative 15% increase in spring rate.  What they sent me were rears that dropped the car 3/4" - and raised the fronts 3/4" above stock, and 2" above the front trim height requested.  The electronic control system was jacking up the back of the car to try to level with the front, and riding on the air shocks, not the springs.

The springs were installed by a professional performance suspension shop.  Because I replaced the struts with KYBs, C.S.S. accused the struts of being the problem.  However when installing the factory springs back in the car, the front height came back down by 3/4" as from the factory. The suspension shop says the spring rate is wrong.  In trying to resolve with C.S.S., they eventually refunded my original purchase price, but no allowance for the parts I sent them, and for the additional labor (several hundred $) to change out and reinstall the factory springs after they could not resolve the problem with their springs.  In contacting them, their solution to all of this is to pull the springs from the vehicle once again, and send them to C.S.S., so they can inspect them.  This would again take my car out of service (it is my only driver) and they have made no offer to absorb the new shipping or labor costs.

Bottom line:  I would avoid buying springs from these people.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 6:15 am

Richouser wrote:
OK guys, here is the upshot of trying to get lowering springs from Coil Springs Specialties.  Over the past few months I have: purchased and sent them a rear spring because they had no specs for rears, during the process, I took the front springs out of my car and sent them a front spring for confirmation of specs., and many, many emails and phone calls attempting to get it right.

I ordered a set of fronts and rears with a 1 1/4" drop and a conservative 15% increase in spring rate.  What they sent me were rears that dropped the car 3/4" - and raised the fronts 3/4" above stock, and 2" above the front trim height requested.  The electronic control system was jacking up the back of the car to try to level with the front, and riding on the air shocks, not the springs.

The springs were installed by a professional performance suspension shop.  Because I replaced the struts with KYBs, C.S.S. accused the struts of being the problem.  However when installing the factory springs back in the car, the front height came back down by 3/4" as from the factory. The suspension shop says the spring rate is wrong.  In trying to resolve with C.S.S., they eventually refunded my original purchase price, but no allowance for the parts I sent them, and for the additional labor (several hundred $) to change out and reinstall the factory springs after they could not resolve the problem with their springs.  In contacting them, their solution to all of this is to pull the springs from the vehicle once again, and send them to C.S.S., so they can inspect them.  This would again take my car out of service (it is my only driver) and they have made no offer to absorb the new shipping or labor costs.

Bottom line:  I would avoid buying springs from these people.

Wow. I'm extremely glad you posted this. I've been in talks with them and was about to confirm my order on Monday. I'm going to bring up this mishap and Ser what they have to say. What guy were you working with? I've been talking to Kevin.
Back to top Go down
Richouser
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 6:22 am

I was also working with Kevin. I truly believe he did all he could but he is not the owner and could only go so far.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 6:26 am

I'm going to talk to him about this and see what he has to say. I know a couple people who have had really good luck with css, so i don't want to count them our yet. I was looking to get different specs than you (1.75" drop and +40% rate), but if their oem data is off then that would throw everything off.
Back to top Go down
Richouser
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 6:40 am

Tyler,

Keep this in mind. I sent them a rear from a wrecking yard at the beginning, and I believe the rears would have been OK if the fronts had come down also as planned. They produced the fronts from their own specs, and they were the problem. When I sent them a front from my car to look at after they had sent me the ones that raised the car, they returned it at my request without comment. I had to get it back in my car and back on the road. I believe they could have eventually solved this by sending in my springs once again, at considerable additional cost and down time. My issue with them is no offer to do the right thing in the circumstance, other than expect me to go through the whole process again.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 6:44 am

Ok. Thanks for the info. Maybe I will pull a front spring from a junkyard and send it in.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 6:48 am

how much are custom coil springs and how much to do Robo's coilover mod?

Just guessing but if the coil overs are $1.5 - $2k and the coil overs are ~4-$500? then I'd rather save that money and put it towards the coil overs.

I cant wait to sell the Eibachs and do coil overs.
Back to top Go down
Richouser
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 6:56 am

My purchase costs for the C.S.S. springs were $407 including freight to CA
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 11:25 am

... rolleyes bounce yawn 
Back to top Go down
Richouser
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:11 am

Hi Folks,

Here is the final word re lowering springs from my experience ; use extreme caution - especially with C.S.S.  Their final resolution to my saga is as follows, with no effort to offer compensation for all of the professional labor to install and then deinstall their faulty product.  They initially denied any any problems with their product as well.

"Hello Richard,
We are currently working with an active suspension, in conjunction with video sent to us by other individuals willing to work with us to solve this issue."

They did refund me the cost of the springs, but not in a complete fashion.  If you want more detail PM me.  I'm done with this and would never try this approach to lowering a 90's Riviera again.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 10:02 am

^^^^^^^^shouldve went with robos coil over write up
Back to top Go down
Richouser
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 10:34 am

You are so right. Didn't see it when I started this fools mission.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 11:19 am

I kind of feel responsible for the whole CSS debacle,God knows I found them.I went through a similar experience and have the springs still.
My springs are ok but I think I'm gonna keep 'em.I don't want to be held accountable in the future for anything.But I had to jump through hoops to get what I wanted & even then wasn't totally happy with the purchase.Live & Learn
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 1:29 pm

It looks like the Bonneville guys might have found a better option on the Eibach springs, possibly using the 3874.140 (Deville) instead of the 3872.140 (Seville). Both shared the same platform, so the springs SHOULD still work, right? And, unlike the Seville springs these things are actually possible to find.

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/performance-brainstorming/topic37941-20.html
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 2:25 pm

I did a full comparison here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/022s70wzc9p7lu9/AAC5QtZDeEHIdVZaKQs_OgPCa?dl=0

All stock numbers are off of RockAuto. I know that there's been issues before, but it was the best I could do. It looks like the Deville springs would get you a 2" drop, but the numbers make it look like they would work out pretty well. I'll wait for some people to comment and my bank account to recover before making a move.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 11:12 pm

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/post358555.html

There's somebody who did Deville springs on a Bonneville...... Man my wallet is getting itchy.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Using OEM rears from Deville in a Riviera seems like a bad idea, but the Eibach versions looks like they would work. Good info. Someone needs to try this!

PS - if the Seville Eibachs were discontinued, why would they still be making a Deville kit? Just seems like there would be little or no demand. Any leads for purchasing?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 11:48 pm

We've got a few Bonnevilles out back for wholesale.....I might just have to go out there and have a look-see. We might even have a Deville.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 11:50 pm

I've found a few sites that claim to have them. I'll try it when I get the money. I don't think they are still produced though.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 1:01 am

I thought Tyler was talking to Eibach to make a special production of riv springs?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 1:03 am

We needed 20. Hasn't happened yet.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs
Page 19 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next