Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New here, Hello everybody.

Go down 
+3
jbird
ADDvanced
Jack the R
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Two Rivs, no waiting
Special

Name : Edward H.
Merit : 0

New here, Hello everybody. Empty
PostSubject: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:45 am

I have two 1997 Rivs, both in pearl white. Mileage is around 145,000 on both.
Riv1 was from a good friend, found Riv2 on Facebook.
I am a semi-retired heavy-equipment Mechanic.
I hope to keep these cars running for a long time.
Thanks for the opportunity to share
Edward.

RodneyRiviera likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 3:31 pm

Welcome! You've got about 600,000 miles worth of Riviera ahead of you!
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 3:51 pm

Hello Edward.
Welcome.
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

Name : ADDvanced
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:28 pm

Welcome dude. Please post often, this place is dead.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 1:04 am

I have to say that I miss what this place was like when it was hopping.
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

Name : ADDvanced
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 9:20 am

Yeah, I feel like most owners have moved on. To be honest I don't know who owns these things anymore, it would be interesting to find out how many are still registered.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 10:27 pm

I haven't seen another one on the road in 4-5 years, and I live in a place where they were popular.  

I met a guy a few years ago who had 3.  He was a retired millionaire who collected cars, but didn't know much about cars.  He picked them up at estate sales for the low low.  He sold the only supercharged car he had to a young guy, that one is probably gone.  I don't know what happened to the NA cars.  Last time I saw them, they were in a big air conditioned garage.  They were a bit rough, I think one had Pontiac rims on it.  They weren't as nice as yours, for sure.  I'd guess the owner has since sold them to make room for more 57 Chevys, and they're gone.  

I'd guess most of the remaining 8th gens are either the daily drivers of poor people, and on their very last legs; or they're nice examples sitting in the garages of lower level collectors.  Logically, the trashed cars can't go much longer, which means all that will be left will be the nicer collector cars.  They'll never be big money cars.  While the electronics and plastics hold out, they're very nice cruisers.  It's not cheap or easy to bring an older car up to the standard of the 8th gen Riviera.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 10:47 pm

ADDvanced wrote:
Yeah, I feel like most owners have moved on.  To be honest I don't know who owns these things anymore, it would be interesting to find out how many are still registered.

An easy way to assess that would be to look at the Facebook pages for the car. Group is "Buick Riviera 1995-1999" and is private,but they're pretty easy about granting membership. Looking at the present and older posts will give you a very good idea of the current crop of Gen 8 owners.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 9:10 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I have to say that I miss what this place was like when it was hopping.  

I agree Jack, I have had my Riv for over 10 years. I joined here right away, and it was very active, I believe I actually missed the biggest years. Glad to see a couple old timers hanging in there!
There is still a lot of info stored here & guys like Albert chiming in to help frequently, kudos Albert for your all your contributions, I don't know how you do it.
Jbird

ADDvanced likes this post

Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 1:58 pm

In Russia we have small community of owners, may be 10 or 15 total.
This place is a gold mine, too bad most of the pictures gone (F%U photobucket).
It is becoming harder and harder to maintain our Rivs in proper order, but not impossible (yet).
Mine is daily driver, after 7 years I still enjoy it.

Last edited by DeepFrozen on Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 3:36 pm

yeah the Photobucket fiasco really messed up a lot of content, "a picture is worth a thousand words"!!

Jbird
Back to top Go down
Two Rivs, no waiting
Special

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 7:22 am

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I'm getting some bugs sorted on Riv2.
The other day it cut out twice, pulled the code, 336.
This did not feel like a crank sensor issue, it cut clean, no shaking, surging, and such.
I felt some heat at the fuel pump relay, swapped it for the air suspension relay, and gave it a good long drive, problem did not resurface.
Al for now. Edward
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 pm

When my crank sensor went, the car did not shake or surge. It just died.

If your crank sensor is going, it could be weeks or months before the motor cuts out again.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 pm

Mine died in the parking lot at work.
Drove in fine, wouldn't start at the end of the day.
Only symptom was it cranked a little longer than usual that morning.
I thought it was odd, but didn't really think much of it.
First & only time it was towed, thank you AAA.

Jbird
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 pm

Best to do preventative maintenance at this point, rather than rely on 30 year old electronics.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm

I also can't start mine, but as soon as I put new battery in, starts as new. With the new battery in, once I went to my mechanic we checked the car and and all the codes but we couldn't find anything wrong. Now I have to jump it each time I have start the engine 😁😁.
Funny but.......!!!!
Back to top Go down
Two Rivs, no waiting
Special

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 8:47 pm

Riv2 cut out and died again today, I was able to restart after about 5 seconds of cranking.
New CPS is on order.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 2:21 am

stan wrote:
I also can't start mine, but as soon as I put new battery in, starts as new. With the new battery in,  once I went to my mechanic we checked the car and and all the codes but we couldn't find anything wrong. Now I have to jump it each time I have start the engine 😁😁.
Funny but.......!!!!

be sure to ceck wiring at the big firewall connector and at the igniition module for teeny break of wire inside the insulation. Years ago that was a 'thing.'
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 5:28 pm

albertj wrote:
stan wrote:
I also can't start mine, but as soon as I put new battery in, starts as new. With the new battery in,  once I went to my mechanic we checked the car and and all the codes but we couldn't find anything wrong. Now I have to jump it each time I have start the engine 😁😁.
Funny but.......!!!!

be sure to ceck wiring at the big firewall connector and at the igniition module for teeny break of wire inside the insulation.  Years ago that was a 'thing.'

.....albertj do we know of havin` the same problem in Park Ave / Century ?
Thanx.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New here, Hello everybody.   New here, Hello everybody. Empty

Back to top Go down

New here, Hello everybody.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: