Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ADDvanced

Name : ADDvanced
Merit : 4

Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls   Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 9:08 pm

That's what is the most logical solution,

however when I open the door, the "door ajar" light comes on the dash, which means the latch switch is working correctly, no?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls   Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 6:56 am

Maybe, but I would still try what I suggested. Could be a different feed wire. The passenger door works as it should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls   Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 10:30 am

ADDvanced wrote:
Right, that's what I'm saying.  I can have the key out of the ignition, but when I open the door, it stays on.  The only way to get it to turn off is opening the passenger door.

The power switch on the radio won't turn it off? Did you put in an aftermarket head unit, or is this the factory head unit?
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

PostSubject: Re: Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls   Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 4:10 pm

It did this same behavior with the factory radio, which I just removed, and it does it with the new radio. From what i understand the RAP controls when things turn off, what I don't understand is how the 'door ajar' light comes on, without the RAP cutting power to the radio.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls   Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 9:54 pm

Sounds like you know more about it than I do. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

PostSubject: Re: Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls   Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:59 pm

Update for this thread:

I was staring to suspect it was the radio itself, glitching out, and possibly sending bad data signals to the HVAC system. So, I gambled:

I wound up gutting the factory stereo, and installing an aftermarket stereo, as well as a steering wheel control unit, and I'll write about that more in this thread:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t13059-pioneer-1770nex-carplay-install-thread#201810

However, the reason I'm updating this thread is to talk about the gremlins. Even using the SAME buttons/clock spring column harness and chassis wiring, I am no longer getting random volume all the way up errors, (or all the way down). I am ALSO no longer getting HVAC all the way up or down randomly gremlins.

So BASICALLY, I think I was right, the factory radio was spazzing out.

HOWEVER. What i don't understand is why the HVAC buttons on the steering wheel don't work with the HVAC anymore.

This led me to dig into the data network on how the modules in the car communicate with each other. I've snapped a few photos of the FSM and attached them to this message.

Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 Img_9810
Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 Img_9811

Okay, here is the data network. For some reason there are TWO data lines going to the factory radio. Does anyone understand why? To install the SWC adaptor, I only had to patch into one of these wires.

I am currently wondering if the factory radio acted as a hub for the whatever signal this was, but according to this schematic, that doesn't make sense as they all connect at splice264.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls   Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Radio Gremlins, HVAC Gremlins, I think it's all the steering wheel controls
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2