Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Where does this go??

Go down 
+2
Rickw
snerkman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
snerkman
Rookie
snerkman

Name : Snerk Irkman
Merit : 0

Where does this go?? Empty
PostSubject: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 4:08 pm

Just did plugs and wires and when I backed out of the garage, this was on the floor...

Where does this go?? _2019110
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 8:10 pm

Is this meant to be a joke? I assume not.!!!

Have no clue where that may have come from.

Sorry, it appears to be a casting plug from something. But can't tell exactly from the pic. Is it cast iron.?

Doesn't look like any part to a car that I've ever encountered.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 8:29 pm

seems similar to the vent tubes on the back of my Regal's headlights.
Have not seen them on the Riv yet so can't say for sure.
Jbird
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 8:56 pm

snerkman wrote:
Just did plugs and wires and when I backed out of the garage, this was on the floor...

Where does this go?? _2019110
Iis kind of important actually.  It is the drain spout for the A/C.  For some reason if that spout is off, the A/C condensate drains into the car.

You can find the hole it goes over by driving the car up onto ramps and inspecting the passenger half of the firewall.   Carefully.

Do not discard it.

Do not lose it.  

Get some urethane, or silicone cement like GOOP, or 3M permanent trim tape, clean the area on the firewall where it mounts and put it back.  Or else your passenger side footwell will become a swimming pool for lost frogs. The glue goes on the flat part of the round end (not the duckbill spout end).  You may find some dried out adhesive there, remove it (carefully) and trimtape or glue that rascal right back where it fell off from.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
snerkman
Rookie
snerkman

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2019 12:00 am

albertj wrote:
snerkman wrote:

Iis kind of important actually.  It is the drain spout for the A/C.  For some reason if that spout is off, the A/C condensate drains into the car.

You can find the hole it goes over by driving the car up onto ramps and inspecting the passenger half of the firewall.   Carefully.

Do not discard it.

Do not lose it.  

Get some urethane, or silicone cement like GOOP, or 3M permanent trim tape, clean the area on the firewall where it mounts and put it back.  Or else your passenger side footwell will become a swimming pool for lost frogs. The glue goes on the flat part of the round end (not the duckbill spout end).  You may find some dried out adhesive there, remove it (carefully) and trimtape or glue that rascal right back where it fell off from.

Albertj

I believe Albertj is correct. I sent a pic to a friend who is a long time quick lube tech, and that was his first guess based on what he's seen over the years. Makes sense that I could have knocked it off doing the rear bank.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2019 1:17 am

While your at it, take a pic of the spot where it goes and post it. If this thing was just glued on I imagine we'll all knock it off eventually. I can't recall ever seeing it before and I have no idea where it goes.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Jack the R wrote:
While your at it, take a pic of the spot where it goes and post it.  If this thing was just glued on I imagine we'll all knock it off eventually.  I can't recall ever seeing it before and I have no idea where it goes.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2019 12:22 pm

It goes over a hole somewhat under where the A/C lines pass thru the firewall. it is way easier to reach from above and way easier to see from below. Once you see the hole you can't un-see it ha ha.
Back to top Go down
snerkman
Rookie
snerkman

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Passenger side looking up between the trans and steering rack

Where does this go?? Inkedd10
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2019 9:09 pm

...be sure the duckbill points strictly downward.
Back to top Go down
snerkman
Rookie
snerkman

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2019 9:42 pm

albertj wrote:

10-4, copy, roger that, affirmative, will do werd

(already done)

I would suggest that anyone who would question which way it should go, should have their keys taken away immediately!
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 6:37 pm

snerkman wrote:
albertj wrote:

(already done)

I would suggest that anyone who would question which way it should go, should have their keys taken away immediately!

Doesn't really sound like a "thank you"!
Back to top Go down
snerkman
Rookie
snerkman

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 1:00 am

jbird wrote:
snerkman wrote:
albertj wrote:

(already done)

And who the fuck left you in charge of etiquette?
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 2:18 am

Hahahahaha..... 😀
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 12:22 pm

snerkman wrote:
jbird wrote:
snerkman wrote:
albertj wrote:

(already done)

And who the fuck left you in charge of etiquette?

Self appointed Honey, welcome aboard, could sure use a personality like yours around! werd
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Easy, guys. I meant the comment to be helpful. If the spout isn't strictly down, the condensate drips back into the car when that nipple gadget is not quite full. If it is strictly down it drains OK and it retains a little water to seal against sucking in fumes (so I was told).
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyTue Nov 12, 2019 4:12 pm

Based on the pic above, it really appeared to me as being of cast iron, so I never thought of the condensate drain.

I've never had to repair, replace or even look at mine. I just thought it was a rubber drain tube,period.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks for all the info.
Back to top Go down
snerkman
Rookie
snerkman

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyTue Nov 12, 2019 11:44 pm

Ok, maybe I should apologize for the reply to jbird.  The "thank you" to albertj was implied when I said I believed he had the correct answer.  Then I posted pics as requested.  My reply to aj was a bit tongue in cheek as it's a drain, so what other direction would it be but down?  I may have had a few adult beverages in me when I read jbird's response.

It is indeed a soft, rubber piece that drains the A/C.  I must say, I didn't have too high of expectations for this car having been a certified American luxury car nut since the mid 70s, but now that I have the Riv on the road, I'm growing more and more fond of it.  It doesn't hold a candle to my 05 Cadillac STS V8, but I never expected it to.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Text doesn't always translate the same as verbal.

Peace. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where does this go??   Where does this go?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Where does this go??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Engine Bay-
Jump to: