Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New Riviera owner

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
knoxbroadcaster
knoxbroadcaster

Name : Charles
Merit : 0

New Riviera owner Empty
PostSubject: New Riviera owner   New Riviera owner EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 5:31 pm

My name is Charles and I live in Knoxville Tennessee.
I bought a 1998 Riviera last week. 187k miles but in really decent looking shape, I think.

I'm excited. I've wanted one since I first saw one up close in 2005. It's been a dream car ever since.

I looked for 2 or so months and found this Riviera local. As I looked I noticed ZERO Rivieras on the road in Knoxville.

I think I will start with an oil change but where to go from there.....?

Well, I'm here now and ready to learn.

Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

New Riviera owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Riviera owner   New Riviera owner EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Welcome,
Fluids are a good first move for sure, these cars are quite reliable even with high mileage.
The amount of maintenance/care it has had really dictates what the car needs. if you have any records of its past and or its obviously been maintained well it should be as any other car.
If it runs well and no lights on the dash you should be good.
Good luck!
Jbird
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

New Riviera owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Riviera owner   New Riviera owner EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Welcome aboard.

I would look at the belt tensioners.  With your mileage the tensioner pulleys may need to be replaced, and perhaps the tensioners themselves, if it hasn't already been done.  And the belts, of course.  This is not a fun job, but I managed to do it.  

I also changed the fuel filter and air filter when I got mine.  

There's also a few things that could stand to be lubed - all the window, door, trunk seals, the tracks for the windows (have to take off the door panel, it's not that bad), the seat rails, the sunroof if you have one.

The Sweet Project Cars channel on YouTube is a great resource, just to give you an idea of what can be done to maintain or clean up your car, and how to do it cheaply.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

New Riviera owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Riviera owner   New Riviera owner EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 9:29 pm

Welcome Charles
Back to top Go down
srjen1

Name : Stephen
Merit : 2

New Riviera owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Riviera owner   New Riviera owner EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 5:58 am

Welcome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Riviera owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Riviera owner   New Riviera owner Empty

Back to top Go down

New Riviera owner
Page 1 of 1