Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera

Go down 
+14
Its a car part now
duckstu
albertj
oldsman105
Rickw
robotennis61
98riv
deekster_caddy
SuperRiv07
AA
ewolfe0050
jax95riv
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 4:47 am

good to know. it just occured to me that its possible to cut the shock rod a inch or two , to prevent that from happening. it will definitly void the warranty though
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 4:48 am

and then rethread the rod. easy to do. wonder if ti will work. in theory it should?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 11:12 am

How does that work? I've never heard of it before. The shock rod would be the chromed part that slides up and down, right? Wouldn't it be pressurized?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 11:25 am

Jack the R wrote:
How does that work? I've never heard of it before. The shock rod would be the chromed part that slides up and down, right? Wouldn't it be pressurized?

The shock rod (chrome rod) is solid not hollow, so it can be cut and threaded to any length, theoretically.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 12:44 pm

right! in theory,if you cut the rod ,that will shorten the travel of the rod. thereby (in theory) prevent botoming out. and on a lowered car that would work. question is,is the extended length of the rancho shock the same as the overall length of the oem shock? im trying to see how this mod might fail.if the rivi becomes airborne(u never know!) then a full extention of the shock might stress the shock but other than that, it might work...........
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 1:12 pm

How far the shock would extend in a jump would depend (?) on the travel of the spring, not the travel of the shock. Since the spring is shorter, I'm guessing it would all be o.k.

You'd have to measure the suspension travel with both springs to be sure, which would be laborious since you'd have to swap springs, but other than that not difficult.

So far I haven't heard of ewolfe having trouble with his 2nd set of ranchos, but he's had his Riv in winter storage. Maybe wait a few months and see what develops?

If you cut the shock rod wouldn' t it need to be rechromed?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 1:26 pm

Jack the R wrote:

If you cut the shock rod wouldn' t it need to be rechromed?

No, I don't think that end of the shock strut will contact the seal or cause a problem.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 2:11 pm

just found a complete coil over shock conversion kit at strutmasters.com interesting!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 2:52 pm

for the rear only
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 3:22 pm

That looks like a good set up with a lifetime warranty.
If you decide to go that route, let us know how they are.
How they ride, quality, etc.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Rear F250 shocks   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 10:15 pm

So Jack the R Pioneered the Rear F-250 Rancho shock mod. Sadly those shocks are discontinued. My questions do you guys think the Bilstien shocks made for the F-250 would be an improvement over the stock Riviera rear shocks?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 11:00 pm

i dont know but i love my bilsteins...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 11:08 pm

It's a trade off. If you never significantly load the trunk, or never run the car with 3 or more adults (including driver), Bilsteins might be better. I put Bilsteins on my Audi A6 Avant and it was great - the owner of the local Audi garage said mine was the best driving Audi in the area, period.

Thing of it was, though, if you loaded the Audi up (2 teens and luggage) it did not handle so well.

Having driven both the Riv and the Audi under similar loading conditions - the Riv loaded (4 adults and trunk full of luggage) handled better than the Audi similarly loaded, for my highway cruising/driving. What's more - if you insisted that the rear cargo area not be loaded beyond what could be covered with the privacy screen (so you could see out rear view mirror) the Riv *Carried More* cargo along with those passengers, by a good bit.

Given the choice I would stick with the air ride rears. IF they were available I'd put Bilstein struts on the front, and have Bilstein shocks made to fit/work with the air ride. All they 'd need is correct shock valving, metal caps (instead of plastic) and rubber air bladders with a fitting in that metal cap.

Listen, you'll have people touting Bilsteins or Ranchos or whatever, if only because they feel lonely and they want you to drink the kool-aid, too - so to speak. Robotennis comes to mind (just kidding Robo).

Having driven both as I outlined above, I'd say no, the F-250 Bilsteins won't be an improvement unless you never load the car. *OR* maybe with Bilsteins put on progressive springs that have a significantly higher rate-not sure how much higher though-than stock. A correct set of progressives would help make up for the lack of air-ride although they would be stiffer unloaded (which for my kind of driving would not be a big deal). The right coil-overs could serve as progressive booster springs.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Camlifter pioneered the F-250 shock mod. I was maybe the third person to do it.

Ask eWolfe what the part number is for the Ranchos he used. They may still be in production.

BTW -

Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 Kool-Aid

But I haven't had more than a couple people and no luggage in the Riv - maybe it does fall down when loaded down.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 2:00 am

albertj wrote:Listen, you'll have people touting Bilsteins or Ranchos or whatever, if only because they feel lonely and they want you to drink the kool-aid, too - so to speak. Robotennis comes to mind
wtf are you talking about? what does lonely have to do with a modification to any car?
modifying my car is what i do for fun not from feelings of lonliness.
if oldsman wants to venture into mod land and is looking for people with practical info who have successfully done this who the f..k are you to pass judgment Mr. stainless exhaust?
it would be a gas to have someone do what I've done to my riv and say" wow robo it works!
no one i know who works on improving the ride or performance of their car ever end up with something someone else has figured out and say" this sucks why did you talk me into it?" we are all big boys and in no way does drinking infected kool aid sway our judgment.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 11:22 am

robotennis61 wrote:
albertj wrote:Listen, you'll have people touting Bilsteins or Ranchos or whatever, if only because they feel lonely and they want you to drink the kool-aid, too - so to speak. Robotennis comes to mind
wtf are you talking about? what does lonely have to do with a modification to any car?
modifying my car is what i do for fun not from feelings of lonliness.
if oldsman wants to venture into mod land and is looking for people with practical info who have successfully done this who the f..k are you to pass judgment Mr. stainless exhaust?
it would be a gas to have someone do what I've done to my riv and say" wow robo it works!
no one i know who works on improving the ride or performance of their car ever end up with something someone else has figured out and say" this sucks why did you talk me into it?" we are all big boys and in no way does drinking infected kool aid sway our judgment.

If you insist.

As for your comment "what the f..k" --> Considering the source, I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 11:28 am

Jack the R wrote:
Camlifter pioneered the F-250 shock mod. I was maybe the third person to do it.

Ask eWolfe what the part number is for the Ranchos he used. They may still be in production.

BTW -

Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 Kool-Aid

But I haven't had more than a couple people and no luggage in the Riv - maybe it does fall down when loaded down.

That's pretty funny!

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 1:14 pm

albertj wrote:As for your comment "what the f..k" --> Considering the source, I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you
your sarcasm is wasted one me AL,ill tell you why
i don't go blindly into modifying my car or any car that i have ever owned hoping that my idea will work. i think things through and i have the balls to do it. I'm not inexperienced to the point that i rip out all stock parts praying that my idea works.
everything that i have done to my car works flawlessly and without hiccups, a couple things still need finessing but will work as planned.
i appreciate your "BEE TROLLERS" knowledge on many repair topics pertaining to the riv.. but but do yourself a favor and don't give your pedantic know it all side away by slamming ideas that you yourself aren't adventurous enough to do
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 1:22 pm

OK.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 1:39 pm

popcorn
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 8:30 pm

albert j wrote: Robotennis comes to mind (just kidding Robo).
my apologies AL. i was channeling shintsu and thought that a swing of my e-penis was called for but my substantial nuts swung around and smacked me in the head thereby momentarily impairing my calming sense of judgment
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 10:33 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
albert j wrote: Robotennis comes to mind (just kidding Robo).
but my substantial nuts swung around and smacked me in the head thereby momentarily impairing my calming sense of judgment

You too huh?

Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 Scrotum02

lol lol lol lol lol
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:14 pm

ooff!
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 pm

I am getting tired of Rancho. Another wasted day of trying to get my shocks replaced because of the lower rubber bushing disentagrating (sp?) after a short while- less than a year and under 7k mi. They used every way they could to get out from their warranty and suggested next time I use the 9000 series shock with the poly bushings. On my dime of course. They should have replaced my old adjustables (with the poly bushings) with the 9000 series when they discontinued the adjustables. Instead they gave me their crap version as a warranty replacement when they discontinued the adjustables. Not only have I had no support from their tech dept, they do everything they can to skirt their warranty. I have also heard a lot of moaning and groaning from the truck crowd too (so much so that I went with another brand on my Bronco). Too bad, I liked the way their shocks handled on the Riv. I strongly recommend staying away from these guys.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 4:47 pm

Eric, sorry to hear. So where will you go from here?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera   Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing Rancho F-250 shocks on the Riviera
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next