Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera

Go down 
+29
adri
97Pearl
BlownRiv
Z-type
DEMonte1997
lo619
EatDirtFartDust
albertj
billymikea
bullseye-shawn
Derek
moldymac
jeffyd123
Cmurphy
TheNewEra95
ricos20002
Rickw
xxsupergman25xx
joe's riv
Redline
ibmoses
1995 Riv
Bushytea
johnd89
deekster_caddy
AA
robotennis61
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera   FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 03, 2017 7:27 pm

JacobsRedRivi wrote:
Hey guys I have tunerpro rt and I've purchased the 16pin to serial adapter but I don't ha e a serial port on my laptop.  I bought a serial to usb  adapter but I can't get it to work with the program. I selected the com port but it doesn't recognize the cable.  Are there any drivers I need to install to make it work? Or do I have to buy a whole new cable?

There are different quality levels of USB to serial adapter.  It's more than I can go into right now, but basically you need to determine which port your computer's using for the USB, *or* get a USB to Serial adapter (eBay) that comes with drivers and follow the instructions strictly.  The instructions usually say to load the drivers first from a clean boot, then reboot, then connect the USB cable.  Why?  Otherwise the operating system won't assign/forward the ports you need to make the sucker work. One like this is what you're likely looking for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Serial-RS232-to-USB-Converter-Adapter-programming-cable-to-COM-port-for-FTA-STB/351957877171?hash=item51f25301b3:g:jioAAOSwEzxYezqH

Albertj
Back to top Go down
JacobsRedRivi

Name : Jake
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera   FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2017 8:27 am

Well I made sure my drivers are correct and I've tried it on 2 different laptops and I get the can't find cable error in tunerpro. Are there any settings I need to change in device manager? I've set it to com1 and didn't change anything else. I've read setting the latency to 1 but I can't find that option.

Would it be best for me to just buy a old laptop with a serial port on it and download tunerpro on it or Is it still going to tell me that the cables not found baud 8162 or whatever?.

I really want to datalog so I can figure out what the he'll is wrong with my car but I can't get this damn software to work with me
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera   FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2017 9:31 am

robotennis61 wrote:
has anyone here ever used or owned the very simple $40 or so plug in scanner that plugs into the obd port ,and then allows you to read the flashing ses codes to search for problems? do they do the job? or are they just a pia? cant beat the price though

The bluetooth and wifi OBD II readers generally work.

On the 95 you need an OBD-one reader with OBD-two pinout. GM Tech I scanners, and other scanners/code readers of that era had the adapter needed.

BTW Robo you still got those stainless wheel opening trims? PM and let me know thanks.
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

Name : ADDvanced
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera   FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 9:08 pm

albertj wrote:
adri wrote:
im very new to this site, my car (95 s1 sc) and even the jargon and abbreviations used so please guys bare with me. im having the same problem as Robotennis. when i went to a place like Advanced Auto they cant connect to my car to tell me why my service engine light comes on. why and what can i/ we do to find out what a problem may be?

Read the earlier posts in this thread to learn about the scanner models that will work with your '95.  Then if still stuck, please repost... .but read the old posts first please.

I have read through this thread several times, and it's a disaster and I see why people are concerned. Some people are saying one actron model, then come back and later correct themselves with a different model, the threads are merged so there is no real logic to how the responses are happening, and people are messaging different scanners with different cable adaptors and all of it is like 10-15 years out of date.

It's a cluster F.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera   FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 8:13 pm

ADDvanced wrote:
albertj wrote:
adri wrote:
im very new to this site, my car (95 s1 sc) and even the jargon and abbreviations used so please guys bare with me. im having the same problem as Robotennis. when i went to a place like Advanced Auto they cant connect to my car to tell me why my service engine light comes on. why and what can i/ we do to find out what a problem may be?

Read the earlier posts in this thread to learn about the scanner models that will work with your '95.  Then if still stuck, please repost... .but read the old posts first please.

I have read through this thread several times, and it's a disaster and I see why people are concerned.  Some people are saying one actron model, then come back and later correct themselves with a different model, the threads are merged so there is no real logic to how the responses are happening, and people are messaging different scanners with different cable adaptors and all of it is like 10-15 years out of date.

It's a cluster F.

The 95s are now about 30 years old, and you're going to have a hard time.

I would look for a GM Tech I (not Tech II) scanner complete with cables, they are not so commonthough.

If you get this (LINK HERE) and a Tech II you'll be in business.
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera   FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:40 am

albertj wrote:

I would look for a GM Tech I (not Tech II) scanner complete with cables, they are not so commonthough.

Regardless of the car's age, the idea of merging several topics into one, where there is no consensus or list of scanners that work was a poor decision.

What's the advantage of a Tech 2 and that adaptor, over an Actron 9145?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera   FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 6:28 pm

ADDvanced wrote:
albertj wrote:

Regardless of the car's age, the idea of merging several topics into one, where there is no consensus or list of scanners that work was a poor decision.  

What's the advantage of a Tech 2 and that adaptor, over an Actron 9145?

The TechI and TechII are 2-way scanners that let you set parameters, and get at the non-OBD codes like for the ABS, and car's other addressible computers, as well as run the flush sequence for the ABS. Actron's a nice reader but it's just a reader. I admit, to get decent pricing you will have to luck up on a Tech I or Tech II.

98RivOwner likes this post

Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera   FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 9:54 pm

Thank you for clearly and concisely answering the question, in this topic, that is listed in the FAQ/Writeup, that does not explain anything clearly.

Is there a list anywhere on this website of what parameters you can tweak or adjust?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera   FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 9:35 am

ADDvanced wrote:
Thank you for clearly and concisely answering the question, in this topic, that is listed in the FAQ/Writeup, that does not explain anything clearly.

Is there a list anywhere on this website of what parameters you can tweak or adjust?

No list on this site that I know of; however, it's in the service manual but only in context of each module in question. If I remember right, the radio, HVAC, MALL (body/lighting/mirror/power seat/etc. control), PCM (engine and transmission) and ABS are accessible with the factory code tools. So when you get your hands on a factory manual set, the various lists of codes and addressable functions are all in there - again, context meaning listed in the operations or troubleshooting part of the manual's section concerning each module. Since the service manual sets are relatively easy to find on the web (especially eBay), if I were you I would just find and buy one. For these cars I would not recommend getting 3rd party (Chilton) service data.

The GM engineers often but not always leave you workarounds for critical functions that are in this scope. For instance, there is an ABS bleed sequence programmed into the Tech II. But what's not really in the manual is that you can simply attach a power bleeder to the master cylinder, pump it up to about 15 PSI, and bleed the system at the wheel calipers - best done in the context of a fluid change because you can use this process to do it - just run the old dark fluid out each caliper until it is gone, and Do NOT Let The Power Bleeder Run Out Of Fluid or else you'll just fill the ABS with air and you'll either have to get the Tech II to do the purge or you'll have to start over and hope your second go-round succeeds. Another instance, the Riv has an interesting crank position sending gadget inside the flywheel. If everything is right, the car will start in 120-degrees of crank revolution when you turn the key. The quick starts depend in part on the PCM re-learning what the flywheel position is, every so often. For a crank relearn that you 'must' do after certain ignition and fuel work, that can be worked around using a procedure that's in the service manual. Another instance: for things like mirror and seat settings, some Rivs came equipped with "personal choice" which lets you address and program the module using various buttons and switches in the car. Those instructions are in the owners' and service manuals both, although they are settable via the Tech II. Some of the settings, however, such as the tilt of the passenger side mirror when the car is put into reverse, are *only* settable via the Tech II. If your car was equipped with the Personal Choice MALL but it was not activated at the factory or dealer, you can activate it using the Tech II. There are other things you can get to with the Tech II that you can't easily address otherwise.

At this point in your Riv's life cycle, though, the Tech II could get you OUT of a lot of trouble. For instance on my Riv some years ago, the original MALL failed. So the seat setting memory and a bunch of other stuff no longer worked. Neither a new nor used replacement MALL could be sourced timely.So... the service tech at my dealer simply got a new Pontiac Bonneville MALL overnighted, installed it, then used the Tech II to tell my Riv it was a 2000-something Bonneville with the Riv's VIN. Major side benefit of this is that when my car would go in for service (I did most maintenance like brakes and light overhauls myself, dealer service calls were usually something seriously wrong) they'd put one or another of the experienced techs on the car who knew that hack was done and would not come back to the service manager saying the car had Alzheimer's and hence had to be junked - also meaning I didn't have to deal all that much with rookie mistakes on the 'vintage' car. One of those techs, who's still there part-time, was the one who prepped the car for me when I bought it back in June 2000. Minor side quirk is that the user-addressable settings such as seat memory on the Bonneville differ a bit from the ones original to the Riv, and you kind of had to know that when setting things up or making changes.

Hope this helps.

Albertj

ADDvanced likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera   FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Code / Scanning setup for the 1995 Riviera
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4